On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Ikai L (Google) <ika...@google.com> wrote:

> Browsers use the expires header in conjunction with a URL locally to
> determine whether or not to request a resource. If this has expired or does
> not exist, browsers will then do a conditional get. The web server will
> return a 304 response if the resource has not been modified, so this will
> add additional latency to overall page load performance. You can validate
> these assertions using the Firebug and the web developer plugins for
> Firefox.
>
> In general, the rule is to not use Etags:
> http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html I'll follow up to see if
> the same restrictions apply on App Engine. My gut feeling is "no", because
> we probably have some consistent way of generating the Etags, but I can't
> say with any certainty just yet.

Yeah, none of this applies to App Engine.  We currently implement etags for
static files, and plan to give you some tools to generate and implement
etags when serving dynamic blobs via the blobstore API.  If you're serving
other files, you'll have to handle the ETag and If-None-Match headers
yourself, and I don't believe that we interfere with you doing this now.