It looks like the problem for both errors was that I had a dependent
class from jdom.jar that was not included when I deployed the app.  My
bad, bizarre though.  It was there on my classpath in eclipse, was
there in my WEB-INF/LIB folder and the application worked fine
locally.  The only clue in Eclipse was that the jar file was not
visible in WEB-INF/LIB when I looked - though it was there when I
looked directly at the file system.  Dropping a new jdom.jar into the
lib folder (and saying 'yes I do want to replace the old one') appears
to have solved the problem.

So, I guess nothing wrong with the gae, but some weirdness happening
in my eclipse plugin/installation.