I think the gap here is that a RDBMS (PostgreSQL) and the App Engine
Datastore are totally different.  In fact, I think the latter
influences your design much more than the former.

The sorts of joins you used to be able to do in your DB to efficiently
retrieve data don't work in the GAE datastore.  You need to build your
data model around the queries you want to run efficiently.  To say
again, your data needs to be modeled to support your most important
queries.

I go through some of the reasoning in the modeling section of my blog
(I've been away from GAE for a while so some of this could have
changed):

http://objectuser.wordpress.com/google-app-engine/

However, if you've not done so, I highly recommend reading the Google
documentation:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/datastore/