I have the following datastructure:

"Users" are the root entities, and each "user" can have one or more
"decks", and each deck can have one or more "cards."

When a user wants to add a deck, I would like to be able to add the
deck to the user's collection of decks without first fetching all of
the user's decks (potentially a large amount of data), then adding the
new deck to that collection, and then persisting the user.  Rather, I
would like to simply instantiate the deck and append it to the user's
collection of decks, without ever retrieving the entire collection.

Similarly, if a user wants to add a new card to an existing deck, I
would like to add the card to the deck without first retrieving the
entire deck (that is, the deck with all of its cards).

I would like to preserve the option of fetching a user with a
populated collection of all their decks and to retrieve a deck with a
populated collection of all its cards, which is possible with owned
relationships.  But to accomplish what I have mentioned above, would I
be forced to use unowned relationships? (Collections of keys instead
of collections of objects.)

Thanks,
Mike