If you have your log4j.properties file at the root of your source tree, it
should automatically be copied over to war/WEB-INF/classes whenever Eclipse
performs a build of your project; you should not have to copy it over
manually.

I'm not sure why you're getting the error with regard to
Datanucleus.Connection; I've added Don to this thread; he may have some
insight into this.