When GAE is load balancing your app, and it decides to start up a new
instance, why are they sending a client request as the first hit to
your app?  Unless your app is trivial, you're going to have some
startup time. It's not a good job of load balancing if requests are
sent to an instance that isn't even started yet.  This is killing our
app.  The load balancer should get an HTTP 200 back from our instance
before sending any real traffic that way.

Am I off-base here? Is anyone else deploying an app with a rich client
and a datastore back-end where this isn't a problem? I couldn't find
anyone at the Server Side Java Symposium last week that was deploying
to GAE.