I have a persistent class called Location, which already exists in the
datastore and I'm trying to add a new variable called numCheckins. Is
this possible without wiping out all the existing objects? My attempts
so far have resulted in the following error whenever I try to retrieve
one of the existing objects:

WARNING: Error getting location from hash. Datastore entity with kind
Location and key Location(1) has a null property named numCheckins.
This property is mapped to is.loc.dataobjects.Location.numCheckins,
which cannot accept null values.

I tried giving it a default value in the definition (ie. int
numCheckins = 0;) which had no effect.

I tried adding the nullValue = NullValue.DEFAULT property to the
@Persistent annotation, but I get a message saying default values not
supported

I'm still new to GAE - what is the correct way of handling this?

Thanks!