Yes, you're right.  HttpsURLConnection is not currently available and we
should remove the reference to it from the documentation.

Do you need to be able to provide client-side certificates, validate
server-side certificates or do custom hostname validation?  If so, please
star one of the following relevant issues:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=46
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1036
or file your own.

If you don't need these, you can use use URL.openConnection() with a
https:// URL and you will receive a HttpURLConnection that is capable of
retrieving HTTPS data.

However, if you are trying to use a library where that is not sufficient
(because it checks for an https:// URL itself and tries to cast the
connection class?) please open a new issue in an issue tracker and explain
what we can do to help.

Thanks,
Don