I have objects which represent users, the key to each object is their
email address encoded as a String. Having the email address as the key
works well so i'd like to keep it that way rather than having an auto
incrementing Long key.

However, for reasons I wont go into here, I need a way of identifying
user objects via a meaningless number rather than an personal email
address.

I assumed the datastore may hold a unique auto incrementing number for
each object regardless of the key type used and if so I was wondering
how one may access it?

Thanks