> I think you've misunderstood where problem is.

I simply point out where the persistence code is plain wrong; whether
that has an impact on what happens after is unknown. Debugging what is
happening in that particular operation you quote there ought to make
reference to the log at DEBUG level since it will tell you when things
go to the datastore (or at least it ought to if the GAE/J plugin has
adequate logging - and if it doesn't then raise an issue on them).
Calling setValue will make the Item dirty, hence there is no need for
any call to JDOHelper.makeDirty ... the log would tell this. The log
would also tell you where items come from (L1 cache, L2 cache, etc).