The datastore can only count up to 1000 results of a query - for your model you could use an ancestor query.

You are probably better off keeping a counter in the parent and updating it every time you add or remove a child. Keep in mind that all writes to the entire group must be executed serially which limits the number of transactions per second (~5?)