I believe that GAE does not guarantee that the format of local
development datastore "local_db.bin" files remains unchanged between
SDK versions. So updating to a newer version of the SDK has the risk
that data stored in a local copy of the development datastore is lost.

I remember that there have been previous posts about this issue which
should confirm more authoritatively what I mention above.