May I suggest that when a new version of gae is available, people can
choose which apps to migrate to the new version for some time, until
the old versions become unsupported?

For example, if 1.3.3 just came out, we could have 4 different
versions of gae to choose: 1.3.3, 1.3.2, 1.3.1 and 1.3.0. When 1.3.4
finally arrives, all apps in version 1.3.0 et automatically migrated
to 1.3.1. Would that work for you?

To close my argument, imagine if Windows updated itself without
warning every so often. How would you feel about that?

Cheers,
Guillermo.