Thanks for the info. I can see count and tried it. Thank you.

As a side note, I have a look into
org.datanucleus.store.appengine.query.DatastoreQuery
In case of count, it's a call to
com.google.appengine.api.datastore.PreparedQuery.countEntities()
Key only query still need to go through some wrapping/serialization though.
So it seems to me the former is more efficient (currently not support with
limit/offset though).