I would like my app to inform the visitor we are in maintenance, such
as it does not let them do operations that will fail when we try to
write in the Data Store.

Last week, I implemented the code snipped as documented at the bottom
of this page:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/howto/maintenance.html

        public static boolean isGAEDowntime() {
                MemcacheService ms =
MemcacheServiceFactory.getMemcacheService();
                ms.setErrorHandler(new StrictErrorHandler());

                try {
                    ms.put("test", "test");
                } catch
(com.google.appengine.api.memcache.MemcacheServiceException
e) {
                    return true;
                }
                return false;
        }

But, during the downtime, this method was still return false.

What is the best option to figure out we are in the downtime period?

Jerome