I'm creating docx and xlsx files (Microsoft Office files) which
consist of zip files containing text documents:

http://stephenhuey.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/docxgae/

You can actually zip your text documents up in memory without writing
them to any file system and then stream the zip file out to the
browser.  However, if you want to use virtual file system features,
you can make use of this project:

http://code.google.com/p/gaevfs/

Enjoy,
Stephen Huey