As for the datastore - you can create abstract DAO layer which hides
the actual implementation. Try AuDAO tool (http://audao.spoledge.com)
to generate an abstract DAO layer + implementation for GAE, MySQL or
Oracle DBs.
However, if you want to optimize the code and also due to several
restrictions on GAE's datastore (queries, transactions and keys), even
the abstract DAO layer will differ for GAE and e.g. MySQL
implementations (e.g. in GAE it can be more efficient to use multi-
value fields = Lists than to decompose the entity (table) into more
entities (tables)).

Vaclav