I am stuck at precisely the same point.  Which version of asm are you
using?  I've tried 3.3 and 2.1.  I'm assuming you're using the latest
Spring?  That article uses the old M2 from a year back.

It almost appears that the ClassLoader is doing some on-the-fly
rewriting of class code, but that this operation requires a
constructor.  Sounds great until you need an interface like
org.objectweb.asm.ClassWriter.

Are you also getting a ClassNotFoundException:
org.springframework.asm.ClassVisitor?  I can't figure this one out,
either.

When you say "the app is actually running" what do you mean by this?
I get nothing but 404s in my browser.

Finally, what do you have in your url-pattern for your dispatcher
servlet mapping in your web.xml?  (I'm using "/*" which I understand
has problems in jetty, but I'm not clear on what to change this to, or
if this is even necessary.  I've also tried just "/".)