FWIW, I followed what was suggested in the error logs and that worked
for me:

   1. Empty the index.yaml file (create a backup first)
   2. Run vacuum_indexes again
   3. Look at your app's admin console and don't go to the next step
till all your indexes are deleted.
   4. Specify the indexes you want to be created in index.yaml
   5. Run update_indexes
   6. Look at your app's admin console and it should show that your
indexes are now building.
   7. Enjoy the fruits of your labor :)

Cheers,
Keyur