Same here, for the past few weeks, deploying our application to GAE
often take 5 or more attempts (we are very happy when we can deploy on
the 2nd try).

The issues we are getting rotate between:
- failure after "Will check again in 128 seconds"
- a message that we have too many versions (even though we have been
keeping our versions to 3-5 these past few weeks)
- a 500 on the deployment

Is this a general issue acknowledged by Google, or is there something
to be tweaked on our app settings by Google?

Jerome