I know that someone will arrive with a better implementation, but here
goes own little code snippet used to populate our test database. It
has survived five or six GAE upgrades, so glitches are expected :)

You must have two things in consideration: the appid and version must
match, and you should enable datastore writes.

File dbContents = new File("war/WEB-INF/appengine-generated/
local_db.bin");
                LocalServiceTestHelper helper =
                        new LocalServiceTestHelper(new
LocalDatastoreServiceTestConfig()

.setBackingStoreLocation(dbContents.getAbsolutePath())
                                .setStoreDelayMs(4000)
                                .setNoStorage(false)
                                ) {
                        @Override
                        protected Environment newEnvironment() {
                                return createEnvironment();
                        }
                };
                helper.setUp();
// ... now you can start writing your own data, and they will appear
in the console

        public static Environment createEnvironment() {
                try {
                        // retrieve application id and version from
appengine-web.xml
                        String contents = FileUtils.readFileToString(new
File("war/WEB-INF/
appengine-web.xml"));
                        final String application =
StringUtils.substringBetween(contents,