Your site looks great and seems to work pretty well too, I dont really
understand your question though, as you seem to have implemented in pure
javascript as it is currently. Your "GAE bit" could be a server based
function (and the data can be held in the GAE datastore too) and the client
can ask the server to do the java processing and then pass back the results
to be displayed on the screen.

Hope that helps and makes sense!
John