Oops I somehow managed to hit the submit without the full question...
Apologies...Let me start again

I have 2 entities UserDepartment and User, which are defined as
follows
@Entity
public class UserDepartment extends DomainObject<Long,
UserDepartment>
{
        @Id
        @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.IDENTITY)
        private Long departmentId;
        @OneToMany(mappedBy = "userDepartment", cascade =
CascadeType.ALL, fetch=FetchType.EAGER)
        private Set<User> users = new HashSet<User>();

and

@Entity
public class User extends DomainObject<Long, User> {
        @Id
        @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.IDENTITY)
        @Extension(vendorName = "datanucleus", key = "gae.encoded-pk",
value = "true")
        private String encodedKey;
        @Extension(vendorName = "datanucleus", key = "gae.pk-id",
value = "true")
        private Long userId;
        private String username;
        @ManyToOne(fetch = FetchType.EAGER)
        private UserDepartment userDepartment;

As you would notice that UserDepartment is the parent of the User. Now
once I persist the entity group, i want to modify the user so that it
belongs to a different department now.

What is the best way to do that?

If i remove the UserDepartment from the User and then assign a new
UserDepartment to it then I get into the issue of trying to access
multiple entity groups in the same transaction.

Regards | Vikas
www.inphina.com