Hello all and thank you for reading this.

I am using JPA. I have implemented free text search using list
properties (Set<String>).

Using the same datastore content (local_db.bin), my free text search
is working fine when I run the app, but returns nothing if I run the
query in unit tests.

I am using LocalServiceTestHelper to mock the datastore in unit tests.

All the other CRUD operations, including search queries on non-list
properties, work fine in unit tests.

I am using Spring (usual config on GAE). Hence, my app is pretty much
the same either running in the dev environment or in unit tests.

Anyone has experienced this before? Anyone doing successful list
properties queries in unit tests with LocalServiceTestHelper.

Below is some additional information.

Some leads I will be investigating: lazy loading of list properties
and automatic index generation.

Here is my entity definition (some fields and methods removed)

@Entity
@MappedSuperclass
public abstract class BaseEntity {
    private Key id;

    @Id
    @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.IDENTITY)
    public Key getId() {
        return id;

@Entity
@Inheritance(strategy = InheritanceType.TABLE_PER_CLASS)
public class NodeEntity extends BaseEntity {
private Set<String> ftsKeywords;

@Basic(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
    public Set<String> getFtsKeywords() {
        return ftsKeywords;

I have also seen this error (or is it?) in the logs.

14:46:49,910 DEBUG [DataNucleus.Transaction] - Running enlist
operation on resource:
org.datanucleus.store.appengine.emulatedxaresou...@213e13, error code
TMNOFLAGS and transaction: [DataNucleus Transaction, ID=Xid=???>,
enlisted resources=[]]

Thank you again for the help!