Our use case in general is:
We plan to allow users to openly login (which creates their initial
account) to our app using google account, google apps domain account
or openid.

We plan to allow some users to be given "super-user" permissions for
the application instance. They in turn will be able to give other
users super-user permissions for a given area of the app.

How to start the process of allowing super-user permissions?
i.e. who is the first super-user, or the root user who starts that
process, but in a secure and controlled fashion (not just the first
person to log-in!).

Our idea was to have the application deployer be detected on first
login to the application (via google account, open id or other) via
their e-mail address and be give "first super-user" or "root"
permissions. They can then convert other users to super-users and
everything if off and running.

Just becase a Google Apps Domain user is the admin for the domain
doesn't necessarily mean they should be able to admin any/all deployed
instances of the application in that domain....
Conversely, to allow someone to admin the app we'd prefer to NOT give
them admin permissions for the whole Google Apps Domain....
This made us look for alternatives to just checking if the user is an
admin using the Users API.

We want to have the app deployed on multiple different application
IDs, and on different Google App Domains, and to have control over who
is the "root" user on each independently, without hard-coding user
names and passwords into the code or config files, so that the same
"war" could be deployed to multiple appID/domains without change.

If there is another recommended way of doing this, or similar, then
we'd be interested to hear more about ir (and especially see sample
code in Java :-) ).

thanks.