For performance tuning we wanted use appstats and since ours is a java
based application, we used the steps as mentioned

As soon as we hit http://localhost:8080/appstats
We get the following error

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.io.Reader.<init>(Reader.java:61)
        at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:80)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.appstats.TemplateTool.loadTemplateSource(TemplateTool.java:
115)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.appstats.Renderer
$1.loadTemplateSource(Renderer.java:49)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.appstats.TemplateTool.getTemplate(TemplateTool.java:
142)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.appstats.TemplateTool.format(TemplateTool.java:
100)
        at com.google.appengine.tools.appstats.Renderer
$1.format(Renderer.java:59)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.appstats.Renderer.renderSummaries(Renderer.java:
74)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.appstats.AppstatsServlet.doGet(AppstatsServlet.java:
140)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:693)

If you notice, this is not a ClassNotFoundException, so
AppstatsServlet is found and it encounters an issue somewhere. After
spending a good couple of hours we included the labs jar as a part of
the the application lib. (Notice the commented out scope)
<dependency>
                <groupId>com.google.appengine</groupId>
                        <artifactId>appengine-api-labs</artifactId>
                        <version>${gae.version}</version>
                        <!-- <scope>test</scope> -->
                </dependency>

After this change the appstats started working.

Looking at the labs jar, it also has the TaskQueue classes. Is
Appstats also an experimental feature like TaskQueue?

When we uploaded our application to the App Engine platform, we got
the ClassNotFoundException for
com.google.appengine.tools.appstats.AppstatsFilter, which shows that
the class needs to be bundled with the application.
On the local environment, with 1.3.5, 1.3.6 and 1.3.7 we get the NPE
as mentioned above.

What is the right strategy? Do we need to bundle the labs with the
jars with the project? Why doesn't the local environment fail with
CNFE?