Since my last post I've started using jQuery paired with GSon.  Though
I barely know javascript, the ease with which I was able to take data
from my GAE backend and stick it into already-designed HTML in an
AJAXy manner was breathtaking.  I think I'll be able to live without
GWT's RPC for this one project.  I certainly see the appeal of GWT,
I'm used to building sophisticated desktop UIs.  But for this app
whose UI will resemble a basic tumblr site, I think jquery+gson is the
right fit for the job.  Now if only I could figure out history
management/simple URLs/bookmark support, I'd be golden!