I just heard back from the AdWords team:

"Currently the Java client library is not supported on AppEngine. The
classes that the library uses are blacklisted by the AppEngine runtime
(so
while it may work locally, it will not work when your run it).

We are hoping to look at official AppEngine support sometime in the
next
few quarters but do not have an ETA as of yet."

Any idea when you might be working on this? It's nice to be able to
access all of Google's services from App Engine. Thanks!

Shaun