Hi,
I'm trying to get GAE to integrate with OpenJPA (instead of the built-
in DataNucleus) for various reasons.  From the Setting Up JPA section
on the Using JPA with GAE page [1], it sounded like this might be
doable by replacing the DataNucleus binaries with the OpenJPA binaries
in the war/WEB-INF/lib directory and doing the necessary enhancement
steps (also required by OpenJPA).

But, I have not had any luck.  The DataNucleus version in GAE seems to
be limited to JPA 1.0 functionality, although I found some references
to the JPA 2.0 APIs...  So, I have removed all 3 jars related to
DataNucleus along with the Geronimo spec jars, and inserted the
openjpa-all jar.  I get a little further, but now I am hitting
classloader issues.  I'm working with the simple Guestbook sample.

I also just noticed that Hibernate is not compatible with GAE either,
so at least we're in good company...  :-)

Are there any plans to open up GAE to alternate JPA providers?  Is
there anybody interested in the GAE development community to help with
this endeavor?  I like the GAE development and deployment environment,
but I would like to use OpenJPA instead of DataNucleus.

(I can provide more details (stack traces, test projects, etc) if I
get some indication that there is interest in this exercise.)

Thanks for any information,
Kevin
Apache OpenJPA PMC

[1]