To make clearer what I mean with "not predictable", I post part of a
test method:

[...]
try{
                        pm.makePersistent(persistent);
                        saved = persistent.getKey();
                }
                finally{

                        pm.close();
                }
[...]
If I run the test, it fails.

If I modify *just that* portion of code stating

[...]
try{
                        pm.makePersistent(persistent);
                        saved = persistent.getKey();
                }
                finally{
                        if (pm.currentTransaction().isActive()){
                                pm.currentTransaction().rollback();
                        }
                        pm.close();
}
[...]

And run the test again (nothing else changes in my JUnit test nor in
data model), it passes.
If i run again the test (no further code modifications) it fails like
the first time.

This may be a problem in my test configurations, I guess.If this can
help, general config for my unit test is

private final LocalServiceTestHelper helper =
        new LocalServiceTestHelper(new
LocalDatastoreServiceTestConfig());

        private static final PersistenceManagerFactory pmf =
JDOHelper.getPersistenceManagerFactory("transactions-optional");

        @Before
        public void setUp() throws Exception {
                helper.setUp();
        }

        @After
        public void tearDown() throws Exception {
                helper.tearDown();
        }

Hope this can better identify the issue.

Regards
Lorenzo