Very slim. We want to ship it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, there are plenty of services that offer this type of
functionality:

http://beaconpush.com
http://pubnub.com

... and so forth

Don't let this feature block you if your application needs it. Build it
using another tool and port it over when we are ready to release the Channel
API for everyone.

--
Ikai Lan
Blogger: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com