Hello,
live data are persistent until you delete them, so backup is not a
real necessity. AppEngine has replicated servers to handle failures,
and they have proved to work very well (search the groups for "post
mortem" to see how outages were handled).

The bulk loader can be used to import, export and transform data
between apps, and to localhost.

If you experience live data loss (i.e. you cannot read data from your
previously deployed version) this is probably an app design issue.
I suggest you keep a separate app to test data model changes against
real data between deploying to your business app.

Maybe other users can suggest more tools to handle data
transformation.
regards
Lorenzo