Hi all,
I am a bit confused about how to retrieve an object using JDO. I am
using GWT, and I am trying the new approach GWT 2.1 using DTO objects
with request factory, which needs the entity objects to have their keys
stored as Long. But as I read the documentation about keys, I have the
following question.
I want to retrieve an object, specifically a user, by searching him
with his username. Before, using keys, I searched him using the
getObjectById call. But now, when I have a Long id, what should I do?
1. Using a query, and have as a parameter the username
2. Using the getObjectById.
The first is known, but is there an option to use the second, and pass
as a parameter again the username as I do with KeyFactory.
Because in documentation it says:

"If the class uses a key field that is an unencoded string ID (String)
or numeric ID (Long), getObjectByID() can take the simple value as the
key parameter:

Employee e =
pm.getObjectById(Employee.class, "alfred.sm...@example.com");"
But what it means as a parameter in the Long situation, it needs the id
number?