You can, but one will need to expose an API to the other applications.
Different application IDs cannot access the same datastore. Different
deployed versions of the same application can.

As far as syncing goes, there's the bulk upload/download tool:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/uploadingdata.html

--
Ikai Lan
Blogger: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com