Hi Starman, Thx for your reply.

>From what I understand, you are "manually" copying the properties from
the Entity to the DTO. But this process is automated in GWT 2.1

So, I am not sending my entities directly, but the proxies as per the
documentation :
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideRequestFactory.html

"An entity proxy is a client-side representation of an entity,
otherwise known as a DTO (Data Transfer Object). With RequestFactory,
entity proxies are interfaces that extend the EntityProxy interface,
which is the hook used to indicate that an object can be managed by
RequestFactory. RequestFactory automatically populates bean-style
properties between entities on the server and the corresponding
EntityProxy on the client, which simplifies using the DTO pattern.
Furthermore, the EntityProxy interface enables RequestFactory to
compute and send only changes ("deltas") to the server."

"Entity proxies simply extend the EntityProxy interface and use the
@ProxyFor annotation to reference the server-side entity being
represented. It is not necessary to represent every property and
method from the server-side entity in the EntityProxy, only getters
and setters for properties that should be exposed to the client."

The entity proxies are merely interfaces that are being populated by
the new GWT 2.1 RequestFactory framework. I have no control over this
copying process. Per definition, getters/setters of the real entity
are injected into the EntityProxy whenever they are present;

So my problem still stands : what about complex values like
com.google.appengine.api.datastore.Email that are not known by the
client side code ? How to transfer these complex values to the client.

Any insight very welcome !

Koen