You should have a look on the supported types in the datastore :
http://code.google.com/intl/fr-FR/appengine/docs/java/datastore/dataclasses
.html#Core_Value_Types

In your case, try the following:
entityOfTypePeople.setProperty("name", people.getName());
entityOfTypePeople.setProperty("country", people.getCountry());

Or try a simplier solution when getting started with appengine: have a
look on the JDO features rather than the low-level API.
Good luck.