I have got the warning that I reported at the beginning of this thread
again today, in the same circumstances.

I have the index file "datastore-indexes-auto.xml". I started my run
without an index file or a "local_db.bin" file, so both files were
created by the GAE/J development server together. I did stop my server
later and then restart it using the same .bin and .xml files, and then
got my warning.

It might be that the dev server caches writes and that the index file
got updated but not the datastore file before I shut the server down.
But in this case, I fail to see how, on server restart, a required
index already added to the index file automatically should cause a
problem.

This is a low priority note, but it would be nice to clear it up (just
as I like to clear all compilation warnings!).