Starman:

Unfortunately that solution won't work for the deployed code working
with the *real* blobstore/image service, as the serving URL returned
is a real URL for the ImageService on a different server to your
application, so you need to store the host and port.

I'd rather not have specific code for dev_server and production if I
can avoid it....

Couldn't the dev_server code for Blobstore/ImageService just return
the correct hostname in the serving URL?

=> If "experts" consider that a bug in dev_server then I'd be happy to
submit it.

Didier:

Thanks for the pointer!