I come from a .Net background where we get a page_load event whereby we
can populate the DOM from server with whatever we need when
constructing the page.

I don't see this in JSP-land. It looks like you can put code in <% much
like with old-ASP pages, but that is really ugly and non-maintainable
in my opinion.

The only thing I can think of is to basically make a small jsp that I
include in each jsp page which makes a call to a server class passing
in the request, response objects.

<%
MyClass myclass = new MyClass(HttpRequest, HttpResponse)
myClass.doPageLoad()
%>

This class would basically be a gatekeeper, determine the calling page,
and process accordingly.

Thoughts? Is there a better pattern for Java/JSPs?

Thanks,
TF