Straight zero utilizations means the email api is not accepting your
requests rather than the message getting lost in transit.
Where the error goes is not obvious due to Issue 1800
I suggest continuing to replace your fields with static values to see which
one is not accepted.
My gut says to check the character set - UTF-8 works fine for me.
Otherwise you may be encountering a known issue with the mail server:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/list?can=2&q=component%3DMail&colspec=ID+Type+Component+Status+Stars+Summary+Language+Priority+Owner+Log&cells=tiles

Here is my code, I've embedded it into a queue task and it works thousands
of times daily.

Message msg = new MimeMessage(session);

msg.setFrom(new InternetAddress(fromAddress, fromName));

msg.addRecipient(Message.RecipientType.TO,

new InternetAddress( toAddress, toName ));

msg.setReplyTo( ADMIN_ADDRESSES );

msg.addHeader( "Return-Path" , ADMIN_ADDRESS );

if ( bccSupport != null && !bccSupport.isEmpty() ) {

// only add support bcc if specified

msg.addRecipient( Message.RecipientType.BCC, new InternetAddress( bccSupport
> ));

}

msg.setSubject(subject);

msg.setText( body );