Your question, although not the answer that worked, got me to thinking
about whether the html file itself was properly defined, because
before I used OpenOffice to create the html document and this time I
used Google Docs to create the html document, and that was the
problem. For whatever very strange reason, app engine won't load an
html page if I create on google docs and then download it into the
war. On the other hand, when I created the document again using
OpenOffice, it worked. Thank you for hinting at the definition of the
file itself even if this didn't turn out to be the problem.