I added steps to my build to copy it.

If you want an evolving datastore, copy it out before clean. If you
have fixed contents you want, then copy out manually once when in the
state you want.

After clean, copy it back in to WEB-INF etc....

I use eclipse, but netbeans builds I have seen provide pre and post
target hooks in build_implemented.XML that you can use in build.XML to
customize the build without touching the netbesns generated build file
(build_implemented.XML). That was for J2ME, not sure how build looks
for GAE in NetBeans.