I'm sorry, I guess this was a little off topic, but I am hosting this
on google app engine. So I thought maybe there was something about
cross site scripting that acted weird on app engine.  I later found
out that my problem was an ad blocker on the machine I was testing
on.  Guess I should have made it more clear that I was using app
engine.  Thanks for pointing this out with a useless message, and
allowing me to write another useless post to follow up on your initial
uselessness.