in my servlet, i have a static Hashtable which I use to "cache"
information.  it works fine w/ 1 server node.

in normal NON-GAE setup where you have multiple servers, this approach is
not good since each server/node does not see what the other cache(static
hashtable) contains.   so i understand you then use memcache to share
information.

BUT in GAE environment, it's like a virtual super big server, so technically
my app runs on this ONE big virtual server.   So technically I can use the
static variable to cache.   So the question is in GAE environment, why would
I ever use memcache?   Can't I just keep static variable?