If by "jars specific to the local dev server" you mean

   - appengine-local-runtime.jar
   - appengine-api-stubs.jar

Yes... I just barely figured out that these were needed (after much
frustration and running across a post from two years ago that mentioned
these jars).   That was all I needed!   Thanks for replying all the same!

P.S.  If anyone who manages the docs is watching... Would REALLY have
appreciated some mention of that on the Local Unit
Testing<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/tools/localunittesting.html>page
 in the documentation.   Perhaps it went without saying for some but not
for me.