Update:
Digging into the source code for
 org.datanucleus.store.appengine.query.DatastoreQuery.getSortProperty
allowed me to figure out what was causing the problem. In the follow code,
the emboldened on is the one that threw the exception, it will be noticed
that I have ordered by 'keyx' which is my parameter name and NOT the name or
my attribute in the class JDOTrack, changing it to a proper attribute name
works as expected. NB This was not a problem with Datanucleus and the rdbms
persistence manager there.

            Query q = pm.newQuery(JDOTrack.class);
            q.setFilter("key == keyx ");
            q.declareParameters("String keyx");