I use the following code to define my persistent entity classes in
JDO.

I have find my persistent entities by encoded key string or ID - my
choice.

Enjoy?

@PersistenceCapable(identityType = IdentityType.APPLICATION,
 detachable = "true")
public class MyPersistentClass implements Serializable
{

  @PrimaryKey
  @Persistent(valueStrategy = IdGeneratorStrategy.IDENTITY)
  @Extension(vendorName="datanucleus", key="gae.encoded-pk",