I am following the instructions at
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/usingeclipse.html#deploying, "Deploy to
App Engine"…

This directs you to the app engine dam console,
https://appengine.google.com/, to create an application ID.

I tried myname (my gmail i used to log in is the same myname@Gmail), and
while check availability said it was available, after checking the create
application button, I was told it was not.  Can you have a application id
same as your gmail address?  I assume yes.  By definition, it should be
available.

I then tried "uniquenamexxxxxxxxxx" endlessly changing the x's for various
numbers, and the check availability always says they are not available.
 What gives?  Not every conceivable number combination could be in use.

Finally, I got myfullformalnamex to work (x =1), so I jumped on it, and it
works fine.  But this wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to get
the application ID to work.

Can someone explain how this works?
thanks
bob