Backends are definitely ready for Java, but it seems that there are some
mistakes in the documentation.  We'll get those fixed right away.

The correct link to the backends API javadoc is:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/com/google/api/backends/package-summary.html

And the sample backends.xml file should look like this:

<backends>
 <backend name="memdb">
   <class>b8</class>
   <instances>5</instances>
 </backend>
 <backend name="worker">
   <options>
     <fail-fast>true</fail-fast>
   </options/>
 <backend>
 <backend name="cmdline">
   <name>cmdline</name>
   <options>
     <dynamic>true</dynamic>
   </options/>
 <backend>
</backends>

JT, please read through this:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/backends/

Backends are essential special App Engine instances that can run work beyond
the usual request deadlines and can maintain state in memory.  You can think
of them as "stateful backends," which should be a less ambiguous name.