I'm very excited to start using backends with my GAE project. Because
of the past 30sec restrictions, I heavily divided up the big
processing tasks I was doing (refreshing RSS and ATOM feeds) into a
lot of tasks that I put into task queues. These refresh jobs are all
started with a few Cron jobs.

I want to move processing over to a backend but am wondering how to
address these jobs to that backend.  If I try to call the urls on the
backend directly, I get errors because task queues and cron will only
run jobs that begin with '/'

It would be nice if I could specify a backend in the Cron XML or as a
parameter in task queues
TaskOptions.Builder.withBackend("mother").withUrl(...

If a backend instance creates a task in the task queue with a URL from
"/" will that task run on the backend instance that called it or will
it run in a normal instance?

log error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: url must contain a path starting
with '/' part - contains :backend.xx.appspot.com/server
        at
com.google.appengine.api.taskqueue.QueueImpl.parsePartialUrl(QueueImpl.java:
118)
        at
com.google.appengine.api.taskqueue.QueueImpl.validateAndFillAddRequest(QueueImpl.java:
196)
        at com.google.appengine.api.taskqueue.QueueImpl.add(QueueImpl.java:
431)
        at com.google.appengine.api.taskqueue.QueueImpl.add(QueueImpl.java:
412)
        at com.google.appengine.api.taskqueue.QueueImpl.add(QueueImpl.java:
397)